Thursday 17 November 2011

Qioptiq


The visit to Qioptiq may be one of the most memorable things I had this year. It was not because of the high end technology, but Mr Ronny, the ever so passionate guy who seemed to have an unlimited flow of energy waiting to burst out.

Although some of the high end lenses amazed me, but the most useful and important thing I took away was the few values, the experiences shared by Mr Ronny that I feel would certainly help me in the future.
From the awesome visit to Qioptiq, I discovered how out how principles of physics, such as interference theory, reflection, refraction, prisms, diffraction etc. could be applied to make really wonderful things such as the projectors in cinemas to make life better.

 I did not realize that many of the lenses in real life is so complicated in nature just to make the quality of the image produced higher, and I also learnt that optics, lenses etc are used in so many different places, places that we have never thought of, to play a simple yet important role to ensure that device functions flawlessly.

 Although some physics concepts bore me, others such as relativity and certain fields of quantum physics interests me a lot and I read up on them on my own. One of such stuff that I stumbled on related to optics is the existence of meta materials, those with negative refractive indices. This sparked some interest in me and I would like to find out the implication of the existence of these materials and how  could they e of some use to man kind. A project may be done on this.

Also, having heard a lot from Mr Ronny about his life and stories. I feel that my life revolves mainly around having fun in whatever I do and enjoy as much as possible, to stay positive and to live without regrets.

 Also, I think that exams and tests are necessary to gauge the students progress on a certain subject and to gauge a person’s potential so as to help the school to develop the student to his full potential. Without tests and exams, the school could never find out how the student is doing and could not do anything to render help or opportunities to the student to further develop him more. Tests and exams are too often view in such negative light to torture students and to force them to study. Although true to a certain extent, but without tests and exams, I would still study as hard in the road to learn and discover, but to develop a society as a whole, with many students that will only study due to the prescence of exams, they are still essential for the development of the education system everywhere on earth and tests, in whatever form, is hard to do without. Moreover, in our work life, we also have to deal with many “tests” although they are presented in a different format, the aim and the nature of the tests are still more or less the same and this will also put the student under stress and pressure to push the student to his limits, to develop his full potential.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post, Xing Liang!

    And thanks very much for your kind words. I'm glad to have helped make your trip to Qioptiq worth it.

    Oh, did you read on the subject of metamaterials? Amazing isn't it? I'm still trying to learn more about it too. Very difficult! I'd be interested to know more about it from you if you're following that news and research.

    Yeah I think you're right that grades and exams are necessary - for most of us at least. I am a late bloomer, and this affected me a lot when I was your age. It was difficult for me to follow the normal curriculum, and I was never ahead of anyone in class. I needed to learn slowly.

    Good luck in all that you wish to achieve! And especially if or when you have your own company or if you're a big manager somewhere, and you need some optics work done, send me an email and I'll be glad to assist!

    Cheers,

    Ronny

    ReplyDelete